There's no reason not to be confused!

Friday, December 09, 2005

High School Reunion


I love Westmalle...

For those who don't know: I spent my last two years of High School at Mariagaarde Instituut in Westmalle, and I was probably happier there than I ever was before or ever was since.

Not that there aren't things I'm happy with now, I'm really not saying that. But I suppose a lot of people can recognise the feeling: carefree and always surrounded by friends.

Back then I didn't have the perfect family life, far from it, but it wasn't as disastrous as it is now. I didn't have money problems, because I needed little money and the people I cared for most were always around.

Those people are still around, it's just that we are all so awfully busy now, and we have responsabilities that prevent us from just saying: sure, i'll be there in 15 minutes to listen to you whine all night.

I loved High School, I really did. It was a pretty carefree time and I wasn't one of those teenagers that thought life sucked so much. I'd go back if I could, I really would. Though I'd take certain things with me of course.

The thing I noticed most, is how none of them have really changed. Sure, Maarten cut his hair, which used to really long, and is now quite the stud, but he's still the same good ol' somewhat naive person who believes everyone is basically a good person (and I love him for it). Evi now has the job of her dreams and she's getting ready for a business trip to Italy, but she's still the same giggling girl. Mary is the silent serious one who turns into a party animal once given the chance, Ann is still quiet and nice and sort of in the backgroudn, Karin is still loud and always in the front, and the first one to go home, Klaas is still brooding and sexy and silly and adorable by being a dork. Kristof did everthing he always said he would do, and has achieved more than he ever wanted, and he's still the guy that got harrassed so much for being himself, which is probably why I liked him so much, and still like him. He talked to the people that picked on him for years, and he didn't seem to hold a grudge at all, and that's what makes him the great man he is. He's a tank commander now, and he talks about this technical stuff I will never understand, like he always did, but somehow it's still just nice to listen to it. Sigrid is the same girl, only she's now ten times as pretty as she used to be, but she doesn't realise that herself and she's still as sweet as back then.

One thing I did realise during this little reunion, is that almost all of them are living the life they pictured back then: Evi has a flashy job title and benefits that go with it, Kristof is in the army, Karin & Ann both love their work, Mary does as well. Maarten just got a job and adores it, Eef is working and loving it.

Me, I'm nowhere near where I wanted to be, and that's a little bit depressing. I know the reasons for it and I'm fine with it up to a point, but it does sting a little bit, just a little.

Anyways, Els and me made an agreement to restart our moviedates, and I hope we will keep it. Evi promised to let me know next time she goes to the Link and I hope she will. Sigrid promised to get the Gang together again soon for her birthday, and I hope she will. Maybe not all of these things will actually happen, but just one is not too much to ask , is it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home