There's no reason not to be confused!

Friday, September 01, 2006

Somehow I always end up covered in other people's shit

Bob *zaz!* zegt:
I blogged
Bob *zaz!* zegt:
hehe, that's like
Bob *zaz!* zegt:
I farted
Deemer / I kill with my heart zegt:
"dude, did you just blog?"
Deemer / I kill with my heart zegt:
gross man.
Bob *zaz!* zegt:
it even sounds kinda like you just dropped something in the floor
Bob *zaz!* zegt:

oops, I blogged

The title today is actually something I said during a conversation with Karo, Filip, Ben and Kristien and I meant it literally at the time. I'd elaborate, but I don't think the people who owned the shit would appreciate it. I suppose it works as a metaphor as well :)

I usually don't like gay movies and books. Mostly because a lot of them only have one merit: they're about homosexualty. Big whoop, I like reading a love story because it's a good story, not because it happens to have two blokes.

The movie exception to the rule is actually about two ladies, and I saw it on Canal + once. It's called Better Than Chocolate and I absolutely adored it.

Anywho, a while ago, me and Kevin were at 't Verschil and I bought a 'gay' book there, just because the cover text did appeal to me. I finished it yesterday and it's a painfully beautiful story. Mostly painful. During one of the last chapters I thought I might actually cry and then I remembered I don't cry, so I didn't. It did upset me heavily though, and I spent most of the day in a heartbroken daze. Funny what fiction can do to a man.

Anywho, I suppose I'm recommending a book here :)

Title: Now and Then
Author: William Corlett

Cover text:

Now, Christopher Metcalfe returns to his family home in Kent after the death of his father. Sorting through a box of memorabilia from his days at public school, Chris is suddenly confronted by the face that has haunted him for 30 years.

Then, as a callow fifth former enduring the excesses of a school system designed to run an empire that no longer existed, a most extraordinary thing happened amid the trashings and cross-country runs: he was seduced by Stephen Walker, a prefect two years his senior with whom he went on to share a brief but intensely passionate affair.

Now, again, alone, approaching the age of fifty, Christopher is painfully aware of the price he paid for letting go, and resolved to find Stephen, and discover what happened to the only person he ever loved.

Yeah, sounds cheesy, but it's surprisingly well written, with a flurry of emotions and it maintains that difficult balance between descriptive writing and sentimentality, making it a powerful novel in my eyes, and one that strikes a cord, especially in people who have known 'a great love' and lost it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home