There's no reason not to be confused!

Saturday, June 17, 2006

You make me come unglued

Deemer / They say it fades if you let it zegt:
this is why we get along
Deemer / They say it fades if you let it zegt:
you're like a preschool-kid [oh my god. not at all pedofile-ish]
Endless Audacity *Trotse Rode Beuk* zegt:
hmm
Endless Audacity *Trotse Rode Beuk* zegt:
after years, the tables are turned and you're the pedophile
Endless Audacity *Trotse Rode Beuk* zegt:

wait, did I just call myself a pedophile

I'm home on a saturday night and I am B - O - R - E - D. So I shall do a blog update completely void of relevant content.

I went to Ekeren yesterday, to meet Cathy, and we in turn went to meet Seppe, Katrien and Jens at the Choc. Or Shock. Whatever, I thought it was called Choco at first. We had beers and deep philosophical discussions about what our responsabilities as an organisation (from the Enig Verschil point of view of course) towards the many minors are.

Some background info: the last couple of years the people that come to EV have been getting younger and younger. Back in the days of the dinosaur, when I arrived, I was 18, and that made me one the young 'uns. Nowadays, there are 13 and 14 year olds merrily scampering around our activities, café and parties. At first this happened pretty gradually, just one or two. Then there were suddenly 10 and right now I wouldn't even want to start counting them.

Great and all, gays and lesbians and bisexuals who are secure enough at an early age to take that step, cudos, congrats, hail Mary and Hallelujah. The problem it poses, is how we are supposed to deal with them. It's one thing when they come to activities, it's a whole other when they come to parties, where they are technically not supposed to be. And what when they are sexually active and have relationships? Is it our job as an organisation to keep an eye on that? If we know a 14 year old is 'seduced' (or seduces, because them 14 year olds are not so innocent sometimes) by a 20 year old, do we have to interfere? Legally, we should report it to the police. But that is easier said than done, when the 14 year old really doesn't mind any seducing going on. Is it any of our business if two people who met at our activity, later meet up at a bar and go home together? Where exactly does something stop being EV business anyways? If I should make out with a 14 year old at a party that's not EV related, is that a reason to reprimand me as coordinator? And does that go for everyone who works for us? Or only if something like that occurs in actual EV context? And what when a 15 year old has an actual loving relationship with a 20 year old? It's technically illegal, but when they're really in love and respect each other, is it really a big deal, and how do we deal with it?

It's a pretty difficult subject and a lot of us 'oldies' have been thinking and talking about it for a while now (although maybe we waited too long even), because sometimes it just doesn't feel quite right. I think we need some kind of policy about how to act in these cases, at the very least for those 'in charge' (I don't know a proper word to translate Verantwoordelijken right now, sorry).

You know, whenever I say I'm gonna do a contentless post, I end up talking about something serious-ish.

PS: Blogger is being a bitch again and not showing the picture it insures me was uploaded 750 times, so it's over here instead of at the top where it's supposed to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home